Above is a prepared shrimp salad photograph taken at Wegmans. The seafood salad is easy to make within an hour and chill just before guest arrives for the laughter and entertaining get together. Go here to view food suggestions for those on a strict budget. I have found it to be cost effective to plan holiday meals in advance. I think this year I want to keep it simple but delicious instead of my typical turkey, country ham, rice, mash potatoes, corn, string beans, hogmaws and chitterlings, sweet potato pie, collar greens, roast beef, fried chicken and cake. In the African American household the meal has always been an traditional New Year’s eve meal comparable to Thanksgiving Day dinner. I’ve have been serving and eating the heavy dishes for the last twenty years.
It would be a refreshing change to simply serve seafood and a green leafy toss salad. It would be easy on the pocket, heart, easier cleanup and not as time consuming to prepare. Note the items below are holiday food suggestion for a strict budget. If all else fails there is the alternative to go out to help feed the homeless at a local shelter.
- Assorted Olives in a bowl to snack on
- King Caprese salad with mozarella balls, grape tomatoes red onions and tossed pine nuts
- Square bread, crackers and rolls
- An Antipasto tray with bite size chunks of Parmigiano-Reggiano, extra sharp provolone, piave cheese, ham, sopressata, peppered salame, olives, peppadews, baby artichokes, roast tomatoes and maybe dolmas
- An assorted meat tray of deli sliced turkey and ham or bake a turkey breast and small ham for aroma flowing through the home
- Crudites which is raw uncooked veggies with baba ghanouj and hummus for dipping
- Slices of fruit and cubed cheese
- Deviled eggs garnished with sliced olives
- Swedish style meatballs
- A refreshing chilled style dessert like a banana pudding
- Chilled champagne, wine and juice for the underage folks