President Obama on the Letterman show was a classic moment in television land. David Letterman had offered up 10 reasons why in the world the president had agreed to do it. President Obama’s visit made him the first sitting president to appear on Letterman’s program. He had been on Letterman’s show five times before, though, most recently in September 2008.
I was black before I was President
President Obama on Letterman 8 minute clip
He delivered a memorable line while addressing the strong reaction that health care reform has received, which former President Jimmy Carter speculated that the way the president is being treated is rooted in racism. He said: “It’s important to realize that I was actually black before the election.”
Responded Letterman: “How long have you been a black man?”
Other notable moments include the Letterman Top 10 reasons for Obama to appear on the show as follows:
10. Heard the lady with the heart-shaped potato was gonna be here.
9. Thought it would be fun to watch someone else get heckled.
8. Something to do with that whole Cash For Clunkers deal.
7. Every president since Teddy Roosevelt has done it.
6. Someone offers you 600 bucks, you take it ladies and gentlemen.
5. We told him Megan Fox would be here.
4. Needed some time to hang out before check-in time at his hotel.
3. I have no idea.
2. Said yes, without thinking, like Bush did with Iraq.
In a response, President Obama said, “The main reason I’m here? I want to see that heart-shaped potato.” The potato was then tossed to Letterman, who gave it to President Obama who said, “This is remarkable.”
On a more serious note, the President additionally addressed health care reform and financial reform during the hour long interview. Regarding the economic recovery he said: “We’re not going to recover overnight. Unemployment is still going to be a big problem for at least another year.”
- Obama: ‘I was black before the election’ (guardian.co.uk)
- Obama On Late Show: Top Ten Reasons Why President Obama Agreed To Appear On The Show (huffingtonpost.com)
- Obama on Letterman: “I was actually black before the election.” (manolith.com)
- President Obama on Letterman (takepart.com)
- Heart-shaped spud lured Obama to Letterman (thestar.com)
- Obama Quip: ‘I Was Black Before The Election’ (news.sky.com)
- You: Barack Obama tells David Letterman that he has always been black (telegraph.co.uk)
- Obama launches health care TV blitz (msnbc.msn.com)