It should come as no surprise that the Internet is buzzing about blacking out on January 18, 2012 in protest of SOPA. Will you be joining the blackout?
- Bill Summary & Status 112th Congress (2011 – 2012) H.R.3261 H.R. 3261 ~ Pay attention to 102(c)(2)(A)(i) regarding DNS re-routing and 102(c)(2)(B) regarding search engines.
- Check out the SOPA infographic from Mashable.
- At 12:00 AM on January 18th, 2012, the English version of Wikipedia will go dark for 24 hours.
- Videos and other useful materials are available on the American Censorship site.
- The White House does not currently support SOPA.In its statement, the White House said “online piracy by foreign Web sites is a serious problem that requires a serious legislative response, [but] we will not support legislation that reduces freedom of expression, increases cybersecurity risk, or undermines the dynamic, innovative global Internet.”
- The statement “Combating Online Piracy while Protecting an Open and Innovative Internet” indicated that it would not support legislation that “undermines the dynamic, innovative global Internet” and specifically stated:“Proposed laws must not tamper with the technical architecture of the Internet through manipulation of the Domain Name System (DNS), a foundation of Internet security.”
- In protest of SOPA, sites, including Boing Boing, Reddit and others, will be blacking out their websites tomorrow, January 18th between 8am and 8pm.
- On January 24th, the US Senate is voting on SOPA, the Stop Online Piracy Act. This bill is really an Internet Censorship Bill.
There are several plugins available to assist with the blackout.:
- Censor Me – your website will be blacked out and will include a link that says Stop Censorship and links to the Stop American Censorship website. To stop the blackout, deactivate the plugin.
- SOPA Blackout Plugin – Set SOPA blackout dates with this plugin, configure who sees the message and the plugin says it is SEO friendly. This plugin will also allow you to customize the blackout message that is displayed and choose whether you would like to include a video with additional information about SOPA.
- Simple Stop SOPA – will blackout your site between 8am – 8pm on January 18th. There are no admin settings, activate it and that’s it.
- SOPA Blackout – will add a 503 status and a customizable blackout page with a number of options to allow your site to participate in blackout day.
- STOP SOPA ribbon
SOPA author Lamar Smith is being roundly mocked after Smith’s own website violated copyright, using a background image without attribution.
Google+: View post on Google+